By Helen Fulton
- Offers a finished survey from the earliest to the latest works
- Features a magnificent variety of recognized overseas contributors
- Examines modern additions to the Arthurian canon, together with movie and machine games
- Underscores an figuring out of Arthurian literature as primary to western literary tradition
Read Online or Download A Companion to Arthurian Literature (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary gothic & romantic criticism books
Gothic novels inform terrifying tales of patriarchal societies that thrive at the oppression or perhaps outright sacrifice of ladies and others. Donna Heiland's Gothic and Gender bargains a traditionally trained theoretical advent to key gothic narratives from a feminist standpoint. The ebook concentrates totally on fiction from the 1760s in the course of the 1840s, exploring the paintings of Horace Walpole, Clara Reeve, Sophia Lee, Matthew Lewis, Charlotte Dacre, Charles Maturin, Ann Radcliffe, William Godwin, Mary Wollstonecraft, Mary Shelley, John Polidori, James Malcolm Rymer, Emily Bronte, Charlotte Bronte, Charlotte Smith, and Charles Brockden Brown.
The Romantic phenomenon of a number of texts has been formed by means of the hyperlink among revision and authorial motive. in spite of the fact that, what has been missed are the profound implications of a number of and contradictory models of a similar textual content for a materialist procedure; utilizing the works of Coleridge as a case learn and the afterlife of the French Revolution because the major topic, this monograph lays out the technique for a extra distinct multi-layered research.
Severed heads emblemise the vexed dating among the cultured and the atrocious. in the course of the Elizabethan conquest of eire, colonisers reminiscent of Edmund Spenser, Sir John Harington and Sir George Carew wrote or translated epic romances replete with beheadings whilst they countenanced - or carried out - related deeds at the battlefield.
This research describes quite a few methods of brooding about position within the Renaissance and in Paradise misplaced. regardless of coming from various views, they've got in universal the concept that the trouble of the connection of reciprocity that poetic topics usually count on from their setting destabilizes these matters’ knowing, not just of surroundings, yet of themselves.
- Thomas De Quincey: New Theoretical and Critical Directions (Routledge Studies in Romanticism)
- Coleridge and the Armoury of the Human Mind: Essays on his Prose Writings: Volume 4 (RLE: Wordsworth and Coleridge)
- Romanticism and the Gold Standard: Money, Literature, and Economic Debate in Britain 1790-1830 (Palgrave Studies in the Enlightenment, Romanticism and the Cultures of Print)
- Stephen King's Gothic (Gothic Literary Studies)
- Merlin: A Casebook (Arthurian Characters and Themes)
- Romanticism and the Human Sciences: Poetry, Population, and the Discourse of the Species (Cambridge Studies in Romanticism)
Additional resources for A Companion to Arthurian Literature (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Arthurian Literature (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Helen Fulton