By Alicia D. Myers,Bruce G. Schuchard
A number of essays by means of specialists from round the world
Like the opposite New testomony Gospels, the Gospel of John time and again appeals to Scripture (Old Testament). who prefer allusions and “echoes” along extra specific quotations, even if, the Gospel of John weaves Scripture as an authoritative resource touching on its tale of Jesus. but, this is often a similar Gospel that's frequently considered as adverse towards “the Jews,” particularly the Jewish spiritual leaders, depicted inside of it.
- Introduces and updates readers at the query of John’s employment of Scripture
- Showcases priceless techniques to extra normal reviews at the New Testament’s use of Scripture, sociological and rhetorical analyses, and reminiscence theory
- Explores the potential implications surrounding Scripture utilization for the Gospel audiences either old and contemporary
Alicia D. Myers is Assistant Professor of recent testomony and Greek at Campbell collage Divinity institution. She is the writer of Characterizing Jesus: A Rhetorical research at the Fourth Gospel’s Use of Scripture in Its Presentation of Jesus (Bloomsbury T&T Clark).
Bruce G. Schuchard is Professor of Exegetical Theology at Concordia Seminary. he's the writer of Scripture inside Scripture: The Interrelationship of shape and serve as within the particular outdated testomony Citations within the Gospel of John (Scholars Press).
Read Online or Download Abiding Words: The Use of Scripture in the Gospel of John (Resources for Biblical Study Book 81) PDF
Similar christian reference books
"Are You harassed is my brief, effortless to learn, summation of the Bible as I know it. Making notes as I learn, I condensed each one e-book of the outdated and New testomony right into a concise guide which i am hoping will attract readers to discover the Bible intensive, thereby gaining a better wisdom and realizing of its contents.
Foreword by means of Marion Leathers Kuntz / Paul Grimley Kuntz was once a deeply spiritual guy who not just discovered spiritual profundity within the Decalogue but in addition used to be confident that it bargains the main moderate paradigm for a well-ordered society. Decrying the lack of the real which means of the Decalogue nowa days, Kuntz spent the decade of his existence getting ready this ebook, his magnum opus, at the Decalogue.
(Revised version) This thorough learn of religious presents might help Christians comprehend their God-given presents and the way they need to use these presents within the church.
Correct Texts, fallacious Meanings takes a few well known New testomony texts and meanings to demonstrate what percentage Christians have misunderstood the Bible. alongside the explorative trip, readers will examine that meanings usually are not as visible as they appear. even as, they're going to additionally research that with the best procedure, the prospective meanings are inside their take hold of.
- Anthony C Thiselton and the Grammar of Hermeneutics (Paternoster Biblical Monographs)
- Jesus, Sin, and Perfection in Early Christianity
- The Dead Sea Scrolls and the First Christians: Essays and Translations
- Unmanly Men: Refigurations of Masculinity in Luke-Acts
- Fragile Dignity: Intercontextual Conversations on Scriptures, Family, and Violence (Semeia Studies Book 72)
- Dying and Deliverance: Searching Paul's Law–Gospel Tension
Additional info for Abiding Words: The Use of Scripture in the Gospel of John (Resources for Biblical Study Book 81)
Abiding Words: The Use of Scripture in the Gospel of John (Resources for Biblical Study Book 81) by Alicia D. Myers,Bruce G. Schuchard